This moodboard is meant to give the vibe of the HYBRID REALITIES theme as well as show what we were talking about when we came up with it. It’s a messy space that we want to build up as the theme evolves.
SUBMISSIONS ARE OPEN so please send us your ideas for articles and artistic contributions, which can range from meme curations to personal essays to anything you like! Get in touch :-).
See you through the screen, your eigenart team. 😘🦾👽🧑💻
Since the 80s, Donna Haraway has been describing cybernetic organisms (cyborgs) as central queer feminist figures, a way for marginalised people to embrace their differences that hegemonic society has defined as “unnatural”.
Around this time, Homi Bhabha’s Theory of Hybridity shifted postcolonial thinkers’ understandings of the effects of colonisation, globalisation, and migration culture, to abandon ideas of “pure” or “separate” cultures, but rather that we all live in hybrid spaces that are affected by complex and odious colonial power structures. Fifty years later these writings still speak to us.
- Haraway, Donna Jeanne: Ein Manifest für Cyborgs. Feminismus im Streit mit den Technowissenschaften, in: Harway, Donna Jeanne: Die Neuerfindung der Natur. Primaten, Cyborgs und Frauen. Frankfurt am Main/New York 1995. S. 34.
- Theory of Hybridity: Homi Bhabha
- Everyday Cyborgs , Everyday Cyborgs 2.0
- Behind the Screen – Das Leben meines Computers
- Hybrid Reality Institute
- “Parable of the Sower”, Octavia Butler
- Fredric Jameson
- Jean Baudrillard
- “The future is already here – it’s just not very evenly distributed.” – William Gibson
- Critical Meme Reader, 2021 – “From now on, any historical event will be haunted by its memetic double—just as any pandemic will have its own infodemic that will recursively act upon it”
- The Remote Access Archive by Mapping Access – Disability and accessibility with hybrid online projects
- Meme Class Worldwide
- Meme Studies Research Network
- Yener Bayramoglu / María do Mar Castro Varela Post/pandemisches Leben: Eine neue Theorie der Fragilität
- Memes: Über die Macht von Schrift und Bild – Kunstforum
- hybrides Leben
- Understanding life as an organic, complicated mix of digital/physical
- The politics of visibility vs. security/support online
- Second world / second life
- Digital economics
- Science Fiction
- Peeping / voyeurism through the screen
- Media / real life play into each other
- AR / mixed realities
- How is it for people in their everyday in this hybrid world, their experience of that
- Dreaming about online spaces
- Digital worlds and escapism, when its seen as a opposite of the “real world”, and the two combined as a binary system (digital spaces as a utopia, a refuge)
- Virtual role-playing games
- Material infrastructure of the internet – internet’s protocols and infrastructures being built as a US-American military technology
- 90’s cyberfeminist hopes for a democratic online space, online as the great equaliser – and how naive that seems now
- Digital hybrid lives in relation to COVID: digital lives from a disability justice perspective. Many chronically ill and disabled people relied on technology to aid them, for example many people couldn’t leave the house pre-COVID and have a deep understanding of hybrid digital living that should be listened to.
IDEAS FROM THE NEWS
- The Metaverse 🤢
- Boomer-generation journalists have tried to give language to this reality by defining the term “digital natives” for millennials and younger generations, who have come of age in a digital world. The term is often used with wonder as well as displeasure.
- Silicon Valley technologies such as augmented reality, Google Glass, or the Metaverse, corporations who want to guide your hybrid experience. Even simple instagram facial recognition filters. Sometimes these attempts are very funny, like Beam Technologies.
- Green Cube Gallery
- Christine Wang
- Bard Meme Lab
- Avocado Ibuprofen
- Alt Text Selfies by Shannon Finnegan
- AI Gatekeepers Workshop by Ferment.AI
- Mary Maggic